Fort Wayne Emancipation Lawyer

As of July 1, 2012, Indiana's emancipation age changed from 21 to 19. A child who has been emancipated is no longer entitled to receive child support. What this means for non-custodial parents who are paying child support for a child who will be age 19 or older on July 1 is that they can petition the court to terminate the order of support.

It is important to note that the law will not be retroactive. Therefore, if a child is already over the age of 19, the non-custodial parent will not be entitled to the return of any payments he or she made after the child's 19th birthday. It is also important to note that the exceptions for special needs children, college expenses and other considerations associated with the existing law remain in place.

Se habla español.

The law is very specific with regard to the non-custodial parent's rights and obligations in child support matters. While your legal responsibility for paying child support ends on the child's 19th birthday, you cannot simply stop making payments at that time. There are certain steps that must be taken to terminate the order. The process can be extremely complex, and it is important that you seek the advice of a Fort Wayne emancipation attorney.

Matthew S. Williams, Attorney at Law, represents clients in all aspects of child support matters. Whether you need to seek the modification of a child support order or you need help ensuring that support for a special needs or college-aged child continues, attorney Williams is prepared to provide the representation you need.

Talk To An Indiana Child Support Emancipation Attorney

Contact the law office of Matthew S. Williams, Attorney at Law, to discuss your case with an Indiana lawyer. You can reach the office by phone at 260-918-0443, toll free at 800-558-0314 or via email. His office is conveniently located two blocks from the Allen County Courthouse. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Free on-site parking is available.